Title: Thor: Ragnarok
Year of Release: 2017
Director: Taika Waititi
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Cate Blanchett, Jeff Goldblum, Idris Elba, Tessa Thompson, Mark Ruffalo
Format Watched: Cinema screening
“Imprisoned, the almighty Thor finds himself in a lethal gladiatorial contest against the Hulk, his former ally. Thor must fight for survival and race against time to prevent the all-powerful Hela from destroying his home and the Asgardian civilization.”
Yes. I chose my favourite poster to represent the film since there’s a few to choose from haha (even if the date is wrong, it was released 26th October here *sigh*)
Now, I have to make it clear; Thor is my favourite Marvel character aside from Captain America/Steve Rogers (though I prefer the Thor movies). Thor: The Dark World was loved by no-one except me and one of my friends, we saw it 3 times in 3 days before I left the USA to fly back home, and then I saw it 2 more times at home (I was carrying out cinema screen quality research!)
Thor: Ragnarok had some rather massive expectations, and it mostly lived up to them for me. I couldn’t give this film 5 stars though, because there’s some things that bothered me.
But first, the good!
- The colour. I loved how colourful this film is, literally! It fits in with Guardians of the Galaxy in terms of visuals, it’s very pleasing to the eye (or, my eyes).
- The humour. Hemsworth has great comedic timing that has been wasted in the Marvel ‘verse for the most part. Hiddleston brought more personality to Loki (he’s so smug, I love him lol). Waititi totally stole the movie with his rather amusing cameo though!
- Jeff Goldblum. I’m pretty sure he was just playing himself for the entire movie, and it was so fun!
- Cate Blanchett is pretty badass as Hela. I really enjoyed her in this.
- The plot. Finally, a Thor movie with a cohesive plot (mostly). The story itself worked pretty well, they didn’t try to make it overly dramatic and ridiculous.
- Karl Urban’s character didn’t do much, I felt like he didn’t really fit into the film properly.
- Major spoiler alert (seriously, don’t click this if you haven’t seen it): View Spoiler »The deaths. Odin’s wasn’t unexpected, but Thor and Loki got 5 seconds to deal with it and move on. As well as the Warriors Three. Fuck off with those 3 second cameos where they just got to die. I am SO MAD about this! And we don’t even know Thor’s reaction to their deaths 🙁 « Hide Spoiler
- Mark Ruffalo. I feel so bad for saying this, because I adore him as Bruce, but while everyone else felt genuine in this boisterous movie, he seemed to overact to keep up? Perhaps comedy doesn’t suit him, unless it’s dry humour.
So all in all, an enjoyable film but not my favourite. My top 5, for reference:
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier*
2. Thor: The Dark World
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Thor: Ragnarok/Thor (can’t decide!)
*I know I said I prefer the Thor movies, and I really do as a whole. But TWS is a beast of a film (in comparison, Civil War made me bitchface multiple times). My least fave is Avengers: Age of Ultron which I will be bitter about forever (they should dump it and get Waititi to do a remake! 😆 )